Friday, January 29, 2016

Apricot Date Coconut Bites

Hi friends! Since my last post, life with Emmett has only gotten busier. This kid demands his outside time via wagon pushing, garden puttering, stroller walks to the park, and back carry hikes to walk the dog. With all that going, snacking for us both is often a must. While E would be perfectly happy to subsist on graham crackers if I let him, I try to mix things up and give us an energy boost to keep us going between meals and naps.
Benji enjoyed a quick baby hand lick after Emmett enjoyed his!
I love making raw peanut butter oat date balls, but since I often swirl PB into my oats in the morning or pack a PB banana sandwich for hike and park days, I wanted to do another fun raw snack based on coconut. I was inspired by some snacks I got in the bulk bins at Whole Foods that had coconut, pumpkin and dried mango, and my first try was a home run! You could easily sub sunflower seeds instead of pepitas or dried cranberries or raisins for the apricots, and lemon zest instead of orange. Use whatever flavor profile suits you (or whatever's in your pantry)!

  
Apricot Date Coconut Bites

8 pitted Medjool dates
8 dried apricots
1 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Zest of 1 orange
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 pinch salt

Place dates and apricots in a food processor and pulse until they're well-chopped.

Add in remaining ingredients and process until very finely chopped. With clean hands, form into 18-24 balls depending on size. Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Keep in fridge or a cool spot and enjoy!
Baby approved hiking snack!

No comments: